According to a recent interview with a blogger, the founder of Russia’s Wagner group has revealed that the organization may soon come to an end.

Yevgeny Prigozhin, the founder of Russia’s private Wagner militia, made a statement in a video released on Friday to a Russian war blogger, Semyon Pegov. He said that Wagner, which has been leading the attack on Bakhmut in Ukraine and has been active in Africa, could soon cease to exist. It is unclear when Prigozhin made these comments and how serious he was being, as he withdrew comments earlier this week that he had claimed were a joke.

Prigozhin has been critical of how Russia is conducting the war in Ukraine and has repeatedly complained about the regular armed forces not providing his men with the ammunition they need, sometimes even accusing top brass of betrayal. In his statement, he said, “Now, with regard to the need in general for shells at the front, what we want. Today we are coming to the point where Wagner is ending,” and added, “Wagner, in a short period of time, will cease to exist. We will become history, nothing to worry about, things like this happen.”

Pegov posted the clip on his Telegram channel, and Wagner did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Prigozhin, who is known for his combative style and ironic sense of humor, said on Thursday that he had been joking when he said his forces would stop shelling Bakhmut to allow Ukrainian forces to show the city to U.S. journalists.

Last week, Prigozhin expressed concern about a counter-attack by well-equipped Ukrainian troops at Bakhmut, and this week he said his troops were suffering heavy casualties due to a lack of support from Moscow. Wagner has previously dispatched soldiers to fight in Syria and in conflicts across Africa.

In January, the United States formally designated Wagner as a transnational criminal organization, freezing its U.S. assets for helping Russia’s military in the Ukraine war.

Ads